Scale your medtech innovation with CAMEDA
Through the CAMEDA program, you can leverage up to $100,000 in matching funds to work directly with a contract development and manufacturing organization as you look to establish manufacturing capacity in Canada. Your business will also receive advisory support from experts and mentors in the healthcare field to help you navigate developing and manufacturing your medical device.
The CAMEDA program was established as a partnership between Innovation Factory, the Synapse Life Science Consortium and the CAMEDA coalition of partners.
As an award-winning ISO 13485:2016 and ISO 9001:2015 design and engineering firm established in 1999, Cortex exists to create beautiful and life-changing experiences that substantially improve human quality of life. We use human-centred design principles and engineering discipline within a regulatory framework to deliver solutions to our customers that significantly amplify stakeholder value. Clients engage us when they need a flexible, responsive team to support and / or augment their internal resources. While we have the formality of our QMS and internal processes to deliver for some of the biggest clients in the world, our Design for Commercialization™ methodology is creative and agile in nature. As a result, our team has the ability to meet a client where and how they want to engage.
Overview of Services:
Product Strategy, De-risking, & Planning
Human Factors Research & Documentation: Usability, Ergonomics, Workflow, Form
Electronics: Schematic & PCB Design, Development, & Fabrication
QMS Development & Management
Prototyping: Pre-Alpha, Alpha, & Beta Production, Testing, & Refinement
Design for Manufacturing
Contract Manufacturing and In-House Production
Inertia offers fully integrated end-to-end physical product development and manufacturing services for hardware start-ups and SME’s. With two decades of experience, Inertia has grown into a multifaceted organization that excels in concept ideation, prototyping and validation, detailed design and engineering, design for manufacturing, and managed contract manufacturing services. What sets Inertia apart is their ability to offer a true, fully integrated product development and manufacturing experience under one roof, ensuring a seamless, rapid, and capital efficient journey from conception to product delivery.
Industrial Design: Designing the physical aspects of the product to ensure usability, functionality, aesthetics, and user-friendliness.
Physical & Digital UI/UX: Creating user interfaces and experiences that are intuitive and engaging, whether they’re physical controls or digital screens.
Risk Analysis & V&V Planning: Assessing potential risks in the product development process and planning for verification and validation testing.
Mechanical Design & Engineering: Detailed planning and development of the product’s mechanical components.
Electronics Design & Engineering: Designing and developing the product’s electronic components.
Firmware & Software: Developing the embedded systems and software that give the product its digital functionality.
Engineering Prototypes: Creating working models of the product for testing and improvement.
Verification Testing: planning and oversight tests to confirm that the product meets specified requirements.
Validation Testing: planning and oversight of testing to confirm that the product accomplishes its intended use.
Design for Manufacture & Assembly: Designing the product to be easily and cost-effectively manufactured and assembled.
Manufacturing Strategy: Outlining and planning the approach for producing the product from zero to scale, considering location, equipment, labor, and cashflow considerations.
Global Sourcing: Finding and securing the best sources for materials and components from around the world.
Quality Planning: Implementing systems to ensure that the product meets its quality standards.
Complete Product Assembly / Box-Build: Bringing together all parts and components to assemble, commission, and test the final product.
Supply-Chain Management: Coordinating all elements of the supply chain, from sourcing raw materials to delivering the finished product.
Tracking & Traceability: Implementing systems to track and trace products throughout the supply chain for quality control, regulatory compliance, and post-sale root-cause analysis.
Post-production Support: Providing service and support after the product has been sold and delivered, including customer service, maintenance, and warranty issues.
Value Engineering: Increasing profits through simplifying complexity, reducing cost, increasing robustness and quality of existing products
Megalab Group Inc., Canada’s fastest-growing consulting lab for certification & approval, is unique in North America offering testing services (UL/CSA/ETL/CE) from one “State of the Art” facility. Megalab offers ISO 17025 (A2LA) Accredited, EMC, Product Safety, Mechanical & Laboratory Testing Services. We operate from a state-of-the-art engineering facility spanning over 40,000 square feet. Our facility is equipped to handle a wide range of testing requirements, making it a convenient one-stop-shop for all your testing needs. Megalab Group Inc. and its team are committed to meet and exceed our customers’ expectations as an industry leader in environmental and related regulatory testing services, through constant business improvement while upholding the highest integrity and quality in stand.
Significant long-time clientele return with new devices include Medtronic, Baylis Medical, Synaptive, 7-D Surgical, Fujifilm, Hologic, Boston Scientific.
Example: Worked closely with Thornhill Medical to certify a military field gurney supporting field casualties with intravenous, transfusions, and continuous data feedback in the field.
Several clients turned to Megalab after other competitors failed to address their compliance requirements (Zoll Medical, TP Testing Partners (U.S.)
Our expedited in-house testing allows engineers to complete the EMC program, and turn over immediately to Product Safety Testing for same-day continuous testing. (Most competitors must ship units elsewhere).
When certification tests are successful, the client is notified immediately while Megalab reports are completed; thus allowing purchasing and marketing programs to commence earlier.
Ironstone Product Development (IPD) is Canada’s only full-service medical device consultancy, offering regulatory affairs consulting, clinical trial design, and turnkey product development. IPD’s team of engineers, clinicians, and regulatory experts have developed life-saving devices, authored many ISO 13485 compliant quality management systems, and successfully secured FDA, CE Mark (Europe), TGA (Australia), SFDA (China), KFDA (Korea), and TPD (Canada) approval for Class I, II, and III devices in neurology, critical care, imaging, women’s health, and anesthesia.
Linamar’s Innovation Hub (iHub) is discovering solutions to global healthcare problems by partnering with aspiring entrepreneurial start-ups/scale-up companies to create a new future with products that are world leaders in technology, innovation and manufacturing.
- Design for manufacture/assembly
- Global Supply Chain Management
- Program Management
- Manufacturing & Assembly
- Quality Inspection & Certification ISO:13485
Microart is a custom electronic manufacturing and design services company providing PCB Layout, Material Procurement, PCB Assembly, Testing & Test Fixture Development and Box Build. Specializing in high mix, high complexity assembly solutions we utilize both SMT automation equipment and manual assembly techniques to custom tailor your product’s assembly profile for maximum proficiency and expediency.
Engineering CPR is a reliable solution for all your Medical Device Product Development and Contract Manufacturing needs. With a team of senior engineers and skilled staff, we we have the experience to protect your schedule. Our leadership team has a combined experience of over 90 years in Product Development, Manufacturing, and Industrial Testing. If you require assistance in meeting your Product Development & Commercialization targets, we are here to support and guide you.
Overview of Services:
- Contract Manufacturing (Assembly and Test)
- Design History File Creation
- Risk Management
- System Engineering and Architecture
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Industrial Design
- QMS Support/Solutions
- Supply Chain Management
- Managing REACH, RoHS, Prop 65, & Conflict Mineral compliance
- Company Process Improvement Kaizens
- PCBA Manufacturing
- Cable Harness Manufacturing
Who is eligible to apply to CAMEDA?
To be eligible to access funding, your medical device firm must:
- Be a Canadian incorporated company, with operations primarily based in Ontario.
- Be developing a medical device at the TRL-7 level or above.
- Provide a 1.5x cash matching contributions.
- Identify a scope of work with a CAMEDA partner where the proposed project will take place.
How does the application process work?
- Complete the CAMEDA application form. There is no cost to apply to participate in the CAMEDA program.
- A member of the CAMEDA program team from Innovation Factory will review your application before scheduling an introduction meeting to explore project suitability, alignment with CAMEDA program goals, and steps required to identify a suitable CAMEDA partner.
- Work with the CAMEDA partner to define the desired scope of work to be funded through the program.
- Sign the CAMEDA Project contract with Innovation Factory and the CAMEDA partner. The contract will outline project scope, budget, critical activities, project milestones, and the expected business impact of the project.
- Start the Commercialization Project.
- Funding will be released in tranches on a reimbursement basis.
If you have any questions during your application process, please feel free to reach out to the CAMEDA program team by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What funding is available?
- Firms can access up to a maximum of $100,000 in non-dilutive FedDev Ontario funding. Firms must provide a 1.5x cash match, which together with the FedDev Ontario contribution can be used to complete Project activities. CAMEDA partners will also contribute $5,000 in in-kind matching contributions.
- By leveraging the maximum matched contribution of $100,000 from FedDev Ontario, an applying medical device firm could initiate a $250,000 project with a world-class Ontario-based CDMO.
What are the selection factors for the CAMEDA Program?
- Project will be successful if they deliver on the following CAMEDA program outcomes:
- Demonstrate commitment to establishing manufacturing capacity in Canada to support the commercialization of new medical device products.
- Define how the project will lead to job creation and maintenance in Ontario.
- Articulate a strong product value proposition that will attract new or add-on investment and generate revenue and/or global exports.
What does a successful application look like?
- Articulate a strong value proposition centered around the medical device technology.
- Clearly state what problem within the life science sector you hope to solve and demonstrate how you plan to solve the problem (e.g., how your approach is unique, innovative, and commercially viable, how it compares to competitors in the life science landscape, etc.).
- Explain how the company team will be successful based on their professional experience and educational background.
- Demonstrate how the proposed project is instrumental to catalyzing the company’s growth.
- Outline the feasibility of the project outcomes.
What does the program timeline look like?
- Funding for the CAMEDA program is available from April 2021 – March 2024.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all funding has been fully allocated.
We encourage you to verify your eligibility and start your application journey. We welcome submissions continuously, as applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Please note that the review process for project grants may take longer than usual.
Resources & FAQ
Want more information about CAMEDA? We answered some of your most common questions. If you have a question that has not been addressed, please send it to us through the Contact form or get in touch with our team.